Minerva Crafts

Recently, I was lucky enough to be chosen to be part of the Minerva Crafts Team. As part of this team, we get to choose some lovely fabric from a selection sent out each month. We then commit to making a garment and a blog post which is then put up on on their website. You also have to commit to completing the garment and the blog within 4 weeks of receiving the fabric. There are many of us in the Team and I think we are from all different backgrounds and have different styles and levels of sewing experience.

The choice of fabrics is a bit overwhelming but in a good way! I decided that my criteria for choosing would depend on the time of the year and any gaps in my capsule wardrobe  for that season. I also wanted to use patterned I had not used before and maybe try out some new fabrics.

For my first project I chose some rayon challis in a teal colour. I made the Buttons Bettine Dress, a casual, easy to wear dress, for summer. This is the one I am wearing above.

I was really pleased with the final product and it went live on the Minerva Blog on 17th June.

For my second project, I chose some micro fleece to make a warm top. I used another Tilly pattern, the Nora top. This one is due to go live in September.

7Ucs0hVsQOqnM9Pbdhnq4A

 

 

 

 

The Cinema Dress

Don’t you just love it when something turns out just right!

I had admired this dress made up on Instagram but also the pattern photo made me want to make it. It looked so comfortable, stylish and wearable. The pattern is produced by Liesl and Co. I used the paper version and found it easy to use and the directions easy to understand. This relaxed-fit dress pattern features a front and back yoke, V-notch neckline, and back button closure. Both views have easy-to-sew welt pockets and cuffed, three-quarter-length sleeves.

IMG_1497

I bought some lilac chambray from eBay which cost £22.50. I chose lilac because I don’t have anything in this colour and I think it goes nicely with my now grey hair. I thought this could be part of my Autumn Capsule wardrobe if it went to plan.

The fabric was lovely to sew. The instructions were easy to understand. I really enjoyed making it and made sure I took my time.

I originally was going to make the longer length but after reading the measurements I decided that the shorter length at 45 inches would be best.

I wasn’t looking forward to doing the buttonholes as I always panic about the positioning being right, but I practised first and they turned out ok. I bought some lovely wooden buttons from Ebay to finish it off.

I am very happy with the final product and plan to wear it tomorrow!

 

Spain Sewing Project No 2 – Making a dress – to fit my post menopausal shape!

Ha! I should be used to it by now but I’m not. I hate the huge boobs thing I have going on now and love the charming way that Mother Nature has dumped a load more fat round my middle section.  I get it though – being post menopausal makes us less shapely when we can’t reproduce, so that would make us less attractive to males. Thanks a lot MN. Actually I don’t care about the men bit. I am who I am, like it or lump it.

So back to the subject, the dress. I bought some lovely floral linen material from the Seasalt sale last year. Their fabric sales are great, almost a third off. the original prices.  I bought 3 metres, which I thought should be enough to make me a dress. I didn’t actually have a pattern in mind when I bought it but I already had a Simplicity pattern to try out, pattern number 2247.

I saved the making until we got to Spain. I wanted to make it without hurrying. Mmm not sure I managed that,  but I did try and go slowly, so I would make less mistakes.

The pattern instructions are very good. Basically you cut out all the pieces to the size you think you are and then machine tack it all together so that you can adjust it and have a perfect fit. I haven’t ever actually done this before. I have gone by which size I thought I was only to find that when I have finished the item, it’s a bit tight around my bust area. Fortunately, I have a lovely sister, who’s not so big on the bust as me and so I can pass them on to her.

Mark helped me with the fitting, it’s impossible to do it on your own. I forgot to buy the zip I the UK and couldn’t find a long enough one here in Spain, so I have used a shorter one and will replace it when I get home.

I am fairly pleased with the finished article. I haven’t yet tried it on with nicely done  hair and make up yet, which I think, makes a difference. Also, the shoes I have bought with me aren’t quite right either as they are too flat. I’m pretty sure I have some others at home.

So on to the next sewing project.

 

 

 

 

 

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑