This pattern from Closet Case Patterns, has been on my list for a while. Again I have seen lots made up on Instagram. I think the short sleeve version made in linen will be just me. I have bought some grey chambray from Higgs and Higgs to make it up. However, as this is a pattern I haven’t made before, I felt I should make a toile first. My friend Carol, gave me some lovely blue floral crepe type material, she found in her Mums stash. Carol didn’t like it and gave it to me and I had just enough to make a Cielo dress, so this will be a wearable toile!
After studying the pattern and all the variations, I decided to try the long sleeved dress. I had just enough fabric, except I had to use a plain blue poly cotton to line the bottom of the sleeves.
The dress has no fastenings ( hooray) and the neckline can either be faced or use a neck band. I decided to use a neck band as it would be quicker. After comparing my measurements I cut out a size 14 and lengthened it by about 2 inches.
The fabric was quite slippery and so I used a 70 grade machine needle. I also decided it was time to change my overlocker thread colour to black. I knew this would mean a sweary hour as its never quick!
I finished it in a couple of days. It is plenty big enough and and a bit big around the neckline. I need to look up on You Tube to find out how to alter patterns for this problem, as this happens quite a lot. On this occasion, I have just made a tuck at the back.
The sleeves are really unusual and I dint think I would like them but as I put them together I could see that they would look good.
It went together easily and I like it!
I think I will make the grey chambray one as one of my Spanish projects in Jan and Feb